Philosophies of Human-centered Design
- Designing for the users: It is observed and experienced that a successful system can be able to meet the business objectives when it becomes user centered and also task oriented. So it is important to bear in mind the characteristics of the typical user population and also their tasks or working environment.
- Keeping consistency: It is important to keep a particular level of consistency in the field of designing with the other components of the computer system. It helps the users to save his time and also make the process easier.
- Reducing the users’ unnecessary mental efforts: It is experimented that if the users involve in unnecessary mental efforts, it will affect their concentration and they are distracted away from their actual tasks. Thus, their performances will be less efficient and more errors will be occurred during their program. So it is really so much important to concentrate on the frequent tasks and also simplify them as much as they are possible. They should avoid unnecessary information of the systems.
- Providing adequate feedback: There should have some kind of feedback methods to be able to realize the completion of the transactions from some distinct changes. These changes should appear on the window after the completion of the transaction. Feedback can be provided at the different important levels of the transaction or the whole interaction process. For example, when the users will operate a control successfully, they should receive some confirmation messages or indications. Again, when some longer sequence of particular operations will take place, the users can also get some confirmation. But it is also important for the users not getting irrelevant or unnecessary information regarding the different internal status of the system. It is necessary to incorporate the user feedback for the purpose of refining design requirements.
- Providing adequate navigation mechanisms: This process can be achieved with the application of a consistent and meaningful mechanism. It can also be achieved by using other mechanisms like use of location or user indicators, providing navigation map and providing the history of areas visited.
- Reducing errors: It is important to reduce errors of the users to accomplish the goal. The error messages should be plane in language. There should not be any use of codes in the error messages. These messages should indicate the problem precisely and after analyzing the whole thing, it should suggest some solution.
- Clear presentation of the information: The users should not be given more irrelevant and unnecessary information as it might make the users perplexed and he might not be able to perform his task appropriately. Rather proper, present, valid, relevant and necessary information should be provided to the users in some consistent manner. Clear presentation of the information will help the users to make a better performance.
- Usage of natural and simple dialogue: The dialogue used between the users and the system should be easy and simple. It should also follow some natural sequence according to the task. All instructions should be in plain English and there should be a proper use of vocabulary. There should be definition of the terminology. It will help to keep the same meaning of the same terms.